Sunday, January 22, 2012

Kale with Portobellos, Onion, and Red Pepper



Over the years, I've noticed how much my TV-watching habits have changed. When I first started out watching TV on my own, I would watch Looney Toons. I would wake up early and if my dad came in and saw Looney Toons on the TV, he wouldn't change it to the news, sports, etc. From there, I switched to Nickelodeon, Disney, MTV, TLC, and finally, Food Network. Basically everything I watch has something to do with food. Before this year, I never put much thought into watching Rachael Ray, Barefoot Contessa, Giada at Home, or Paula Deen. I never understood why someone would watch them cook a meal for half an hour. I always wondered how anyone was supposed to keep up with what they were doing. I'm not sure when it clicked for me, but I'm now well aware that just about everything they make is online, complete with directions and ingredients. I know which shows are on when I come home from school and what order they are in. Rachael, Ina, Giada, Paula. I usually can't catch all of Rachael Ray, but one day I flipped the TV on and saw her finishing her "Cauliflower Sauce with Whole-Wheat Penne" with a side of "Kale and Portobellos." I had just had kale for the first time the week before and thought the dish would be a good thing to try out. 

After putting a little thought into it and considering what was in my fridge, I decided the kale would taste better with onion and red pepper. This is because I'm not a huge fan of mushrooms and I wanted to add a few more flavors to the kale.
Personally, I enjoyed this recipe. Hopefully, anyone that gives this recipe a shot enjoys it too.



Kale with Portobellos, Onion, and Red Pepper

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 of a small onion, sliced
1/2 of a red pepper, sliced 
2 portobello mushroom caps, sliced
1 pound of kale, stemmed and chopped
salt and pepper
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 cup dry red wine

Directions
In a large skillet, heat the extra virgin olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and saute until they begin to get soft. Then add the peppers and saute until they begin to soften. Add the mushrooms and heat until tender. Add the kale, turning until it begins to wilt. Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Add wine and stir. Reduce heat to low and cook, covered, for 5 minutes. Serve warm with any bread you prefer.

Source
slightly adapted from Rachael Ray

No comments:

Post a Comment