Sunday, January 29, 2012

Pancit



This has to be the easiest dinner recipe I have ever tried. I made it once and I can easily recall all the ingredients and steps involved. I don't even need the recipe anymore to make it. I honestly wouldn't be able to tell you the best part about this recipe. There are three different types of meats in it. That is awesome. But, the cabbage is really yummy. And so are the carrots. And the noodles. See what I mean? So. Good. I could've eaten it all night if my stomach could handle that much food. Even my boyfriend, who had just recently had this same dish in the Philippines, said it was really good. (Yay!)

This recipe was supposed to feed four people, but I think it really meant six. Or seven. Possibly eight or nine, depending on how much you like to eat at a meal. Although that may be because my head of cabbage was slightly bigger than "medium." What does a "medium" head of cabbage look like anyway? I've only ever seen one size and obviously, that's the size I bought. It didn't seem very big to me, but I guess it just depends on what's available in your area. Well, anyway, I may have also used a little more than half a pound of chicken, but those factors shouldn't add three (five) extra servings to a meal. Maybe, when the recipe said "serves 4" it actually meant "serves 4 ravenous 6' 10'' teenage boys." That would make a lot more sense. My mom and I had two good-sized servings. My boyfriend had one enormous serving plus another smaller serving (he needed those carbs for hockey!) Then my step-dad came home and he and my mom each had a serving before they went to bed. Even after all of that, there was enough for two of us to have more for lunch the next day. We still have more in the fridge. So, adding all of that up, there are at least...10 average-sized servings in this recipe. I wouldn't cut it in half though. It's definitely something that you'd like to have two or ten servings of.  


Pancit
serves...a lot

Ingredients:

8 ounce package thin rice noodles
1/2 pound skinless, boneless chicken, cut into bite-size pieces
1/2 pound pork tenderloin, cut into bite-size pieces
1/2 cup soy sauce
ground black pepper to taste
1/2 medium head cabbage, shredded
2 carrots, shredded
2 green onions, chopped into 1 inch pieces
1/2 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined

Directions
Place the noodles in a large bowl and cover with hot tap water. Soak for 15-20 minutes, or until soft. They will feel a little bit underdone to the taste, but will soften when cooked with the rest of the ingredients. Place the noodles on a cutting board and give them a few chops to shorten them and make them more manageable.

Pour a small amount of olive oil into a very large skillet and brown the chicken and pork. Make sure no pink shows on any of the pieces. Add the soy sauce and pepper. Remove everything but a small amount of soy sauce from the skillet.

Saute the carrots and cabbage until tender (use a lid to make this go faster.) Stir in the noodles, green onions, and shrimp. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until the shrimp are nearly cooked, then add the chicken, pork, and soy sauce. Mix everything together then cook for 5 more minutes.
 
Source
Ozzyzmommy - Allrecipes.com

No comments:

Post a Comment