Thursday, June 7, 2012

Stuffed Mushrooms


Finally, I have made my way back to my blog after a very long break. Now that I don't have to worry about softball, graduation, or college orientation, I can get back to sharing my new recipes! I have frequently thought about this blog during my break, especially because my baking and cooking never took one. If anything, I've been in the kitchen more now than I was before I stopped updating the blog. My love for food lives on, even if my neglected blog does not show it.

I may have previously touched on the fact that I'm usually not a huge fan of mushrooms. I honestly can't eat them raw or cooked on their own. Okay, I can, I just really prefer not to. But, for some unknown reason, I crave things I don't necessarily like. Maybe it's because "stuffed" is in the title of the food. If something is stuffed, it can't be bad. It's an unwritten food rule that is rarely broken. It's like candy. Can candy be bad? Yes. Does it mess with your mind when it is? Yes. It's the reason candy corn has returned to us year after year for Halloween. Everyone sees it, thinks "Ooo, candy corn! That's a festive candy for Halloween, let's get it!" Then they eat three pieces and leave the rest to harden in a small serving bowl until Thanksgiving rolls around. Back to the point - This is when good things happen. I was planning on using certain ingredients for my stuffed mushrooms, so I started my search for recipes that included them. I wasn't very successful. Luckily, while unwrapping the mushrooms from their packaging, I found a recipe. It was located on the inside of the label. All of the ingredients were either on hand, interchangeable with what I wanted to use, or easily left out. Lucky me.

And so the cooking began. It was glorious. I knew from the second I tasted the filling that I had created something yummy. I couldn't stuff enough into the little portobello caps and there was still plenty leftover. The cheese wasn't too overpowering and the mushrooms were cooked just right. I found myself craving more afterwards, but this time it was a craving for something I did like. Yum!


Stuffed Mushrooms
makes 6

Ingredients:
6 baby portobellos, stems removed and chopped
2 1/2 tbsp olive oil
1/3 cup chopped onion
8oz. ground turkey
poultry seasoning
1/2 cup smoked gouda cheese, shredded
1/4 tsp garlic powder
dash cayenne

Directions
Preheat oven to 350°F.

Place caps on a baking sheet, open side down, and drizzle with 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil. Roast for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, cook the onions and mushroom stems in the remaining olive oil until tender. Remove and place in a bowl to cool. When mushroom caps are done, remove and flip over. Set aside. Cook turkey in the same frying pan. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and poultry seasoning, to taste. Cook through. Add to the bowl of mushroom stems and onions. Add garlic powder, cayenne, and gouda. Mix well. Put mixture in caps (pile it high!) and sprinkle with more shredded gouda. Cook in oven for 15-20min.

No comments:

Post a Comment