Friday, March 16, 2012

Green Smoothie


I have seen these smoothies all over the place. Between food blogs, Pinterest, and Stumbleupon, I think I've probably seen at least fifty different recipes for them. Some recipes turn out to look more like puke than a green smoothie, though. If you care about what color your smoothie will be, pay attention to the fruits you decide to use! For example, if you want a bright green smoothie like the one shown above, only use green or yellow fruits. I made a smoothie with bananas and strawberries earlier this week and it ended up looking awful. Speckled and everything. I liked it, but the visual aspect of it was hard to get over.

Very occasionally, being in a rush can be beneficial for recipes. I stress the "very occasionally" part of the last sentence. I had to get out of the house quickly this morning and had a hard time deciding what to put in my smoothie. I grabbed the usual - baby spinach and water. Then, I had a hard time deciding which fruit combinations would lead to a smoothie with a good taste and appealing color. I peeled a banana and threw it in. All other fruits in the kitchen either had another purpous for a later date or were just too difficult to prepare in the short amount of time I had (I'm looking at you, pineapple). I threw in some crushed ice and began blending. The outcome was not too thick, not too thin, and just banana-y enough for me.


Green Smoothie
serves one


Ingredients:

two small handfuls of baby spinach
one banana
scant cup of water
about 1/3 cup of crushed ice


Directions
Put the spinach, water, banana, and ice into the blender. Put the spinach in first to make blending it easier. Blend until smooth and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment